- The Reign of Kane Falls (Mainly...)
- The Audacity of Dopes
- Kathy Kane: Resistance is Futile!
- Wilkes-Barre Mayor Tom Leighton Dances Cheek-to-Cheek with Convicted Commissioner Bonner.
- Did you hear the one about Steve Urban?
- Joe Paterno 1926-2012
- Goodnight Sweet Prince
- Wilkes-Barre Prepares as Susquehanna River Rises To Dangerous Levels
- Tattooed Man Blames Needle Phobia for Assault on Cop
- Wilkes-Barre man's lawyers want murder charges dismissed - Citizens Voice
- Man captured in Bear Creek home invasion - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader
- HIDDEN CAMERA: JC Penney Marks Up Prices, Then Holds “Sale” - wnep.com
- Kids, Help Riverfest Awaken the Dragon on Friday, 6/21 - Wilkes University
- County prison running through OT budget - Citizens Voice
- Luzerne firm low bidder for Sterling demo - Citizens Voice
- Luzerne firm submits low bid for Sterling demo - Citizens Voice
- Sidenotes: TLC 'Medium' star set for Kirby Center - Scranton Times-Tribune
- Wilkes University Announces Dean's List for Spring 2013 Semester - Wilkes University
- Wilkes University Professor Eric Ruggiero Wins Fellowship With Sony Pictures ... - Wilkes University
- Man captured in Bear Creek home invasion
- Area college teacher prep programs get mixed reviews
- Suspect in homicide try in D.C. captured at Job Corps Center
- Court briefs
- Charter board zeroes in on new school details
- Man gets prison sentence for assault
- ALL'S FAIR IN NORTHEAST PA.
- Spirit continues in the Back Mountain
- City Parking Authority grilled on cameras' effectiveness
- Casey legislation targets those who prey on seniors
- Mohegan job fair draws thousands seeking casino posts
- Police Blotter
- County's prison budget dissected
- Mayors want food stamps for soda to fizzle out
- Wyoming Area strike notice leaves room for give, take
Clean Up Corruption Now
Coal Region Voice
Not Cease From Exploration
Circumlocution for Dummies
A Big Fat Slob
The Lu Lac Political Letter
Scranton Public Policy Examiner
Luzerne County Railroad Blog
"Stabbings and shootings are the
blood and circuses for the meat and potatoes crowd."
A gunman shooting up a carload of 2 A.M. revelers in downtown Wilkes-Barre is a hard story for a newspaper to ignore. Especially in a small city that boasts two dailies. The Grand Guignol aspects of street crime have always commanded important real estate on the front page.
Stabbings and shootings are the blood and circuses for the meat and potatoes crowd. Crime sells papers.
Statistically, crimes trends reliably down over the long-term. Even in Wilkes-Barre - a city that has lost 1000 residents a year for several decades - crime stats for Wilkes-Barre are headed south for most categories over a five year period. Statewide, Wilkes-Barre is ranked 25th in population but 21st in number of violent crimes. By comparison, nearby Scranton is ranked 9th by size and 15th by number of violent crimes. Not great, but not anything to panic over either. In the short-term, crime statistics may rise or fall, but the space newspapers (and local television news) devote to violent crime will always be a constant.
Comparing the coverage of the parking-lot shooter in the Times-Leader and the Citizen's Voice is the sort of meta-analysis we find hard to resist.Add a comment
First he expected us to believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman, now outgoing Senator Arlen Specter wants to take away our God-given right to download Adam Sandler movies.
Nineteen U.S. Senators have voted to accelerate the ominous "Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act." The ostensible purpose of the bill is defeating intellectual property theft.(2) Excuse us for thinking that handing control of website addresses to the Attorney General's office is quite insane.(1)
A lot of people think the C.O.I.C.A. is unconstitutional, overly broad and just as damn crazy as we do. Not among them is our very own lame-duck Senator Arlen Specter and funny-man turned unfunny-Senator Al Franken. Coming from a super-lefty guy so eager to embrace net-neutrality and squelch corporate media takeovers, Franken's stance on the C.O.I.C.A. is especially puzzling.Add a comment
Just how chummy is Major Tom Corbett